Planning an eco-friendly wedding ceremony that will probably be variety to nature and the surroundings? You then’re going to like these 50+ sustainable, eco-friendly and low/ zero waste wedding ceremony hacks.
Discover ways to embrace zero-waste wedding ceremony rules of re-use by choosing wedding ceremony leases as an alternative of buying new, discover out where to promote or donate your items after your wedding ceremony, the right way to incorporate upcycling, and get elegant multi-use ideas for decor.
We’ll also assist spark ideas that will help you scale back your carbon footprint with cute ways to go paperless, and strategies for ditching wasteful wedding ceremony practices, in addition to an entire lot of different distinctive and useful sustainable wedding ceremony ideas.
- 1 50+ Sustainable, Eco-Pleasant + Zero Waste Wedding Hacks
- 1.1 Construct Sustainability Into Your Wedding from the Start
- 1.2 Make Sustainable, Low-Impression Wedding Purchases
- 1.3 Choose Waterwise Flowers and Greenery:
- 1.4 Recycle and Get Composting:
- 1.5 Give Favors Which Help Pure Eco-Techniques
- 1.6 Go Paperless:
- 1.7 Maintain Sustainability in Mind Choosing a Venue:
- 1.8 Lease, Don’t Purchase:
- 1.9 Give Goods Second Life by Donating + Reselling
- 1.10 Assume Double-Obligation:
- 1.11 Extra of our fave wedding ceremony ideas and advice to check out:
- 1.12 See extra eco-friendly real weddings and concepts
50+ Sustainable, Eco-Pleasant + Zero Waste Wedding Hacks
Construct Sustainability Into Your Wedding from the Start
- Think about an elopement and minimize out nearly all of your wedding ceremony waste before it even begins.
- Have a smaller, intimate wedding ceremony, when you can.
Fewer visitors imply much less decor, leases, place settings and flowers. Plus, it means quality over amount and is the inspiration of an eco-friendly wedding ceremony.
- Select vendors which might be environmentally conscious and are prepared to work with you towards a low-waste, eco-friendly wedding ceremony.
- Have a minimalist wedding ceremony theme.
- Choose vendors that donate a proportion of their income to charity.
By working with environmentally conscious vendors that also give a proportion of their income back you’re capable of have a doubly constructive impression together with your wedding ceremony price range, says Cape City based mostly event planner Nu Davidson.
- Plan a locally-grown menu.
Going farm to desk on your sustainable wedding ceremony reduces transport emissions, and is often an entire bunch brisker and tastier.
- Serve a delicious vegan unfold.
Plant-based meals can scale back your carbon footprint dramatically, are 50% much less water-intensive, wholesome, and type to sentient beings – not to mention super tasty! Yes, there’s life past the lettuce leaf – simply examine these yummy vegan weddings as proof!
- Choose eco-friendly, lab-grown diamonds in your rings.
They’re sustainably grown, and when set in responsibly sourced valuable metals, are a much better selection for the setting, explains Lindsay Reinsmith, Co-Founder of Ada Diamonds. They’re chemically and visually similar to their mined counterparts, with none of the unfavorable impacts on the earth. Lab diamonds are human-friendly, too: they’re assured to be of recognized origin and conflict-free.
Make Sustainable, Low-Impression Wedding Purchases
(Above) Gifting visitors Zero-waste reusable bamboo utensils units are great methods to encourage plastic discount habits in visitors. Get them right here and here.
Heads up, fam! If this editorial evokes you to purchase a few of these eco-friendly wedding ceremony gadgets, in some instances we’d get a small proportion of the sale for sharing it with you. Thanks for supporting our content material.
- Serve your meal with gifted reusable cutlery.
Bundle all of it together with a cute matching cutlery material bag bearing their identify as their eco-friendly wedding ceremony place card, in order that your visitors can take house sustainable habits. Start a virtuous cycle!
- Contemplate the sustainability of the wedding fabrics you put on.
Out of your robe or go well with proper via to your tableware – particularly in case you are choosing to buy as an alternative of lease. Designers that target sustainable wedding ceremony clothes embrace Reformation, Celia Grace, Pure Magnolia, and Laudae.
- Ask your stationer if they will print your invitations using soy-based inks, which put much less pollution into the waterways, suggests Jenna Miller, Artistic Director at Here Comes the Guide: “Also, by using reply postcards and nixing the inner envelope and tissue, you’ll use less paper altogether while saving on cost.” And naturally, you’ll be able to all the time go the digital route, suggests Jenna. We agree – hold reading for paperless, eco-friendly wedding ceremony solutions additional down.
Choose Waterwise Flowers and Greenery:
(Above) Low-water, eco-friendly succulent wedding ceremony bouquet of purple echeveria and dusty miller. (Image: Captured Moments Images)
- Fall in love with low-water wedding ceremony greenery, flowers and crops.
Embrace hardy foliage like eucalyptus, sturdy succulents, drought-tolerant bougainvillea or proteas, or low-water herbs like rosemary, lavender, and artichokes for sustainable wedding ceremony flowers! Take a look at this record of the 15 most durable wedding ceremony flowers and these 45+ artistic wedding ceremony greenery concepts that may rock your world!
- Choose regionally grown flowers and indigenous greenery to help local biodiversity.
- Think about flower options which final means longer.
“We especially love dried flowers,” says – Euri Wong, Lead Designer at Bloominous. “These are super trendy right now – Win-win!”
(Above) Eco-friendly succulents and low-water greenery like eucalyptus make lovely bouquets and decor wreaths. This couple re-used their greenery wreaths, and as an alternative of printing paper packages, used erasable marker on a superbly framed mirror to element the day’s events. See extra concepts from their greenery and succulent wedding ceremony captured by Lindsay Fauver images here.
(Above) Eco-friendly wedding ceremony succulents as decor and favors. See extra ideas from this eco-friendly Autumn wedding ceremony captured by Chloe Luka images right here.
Recycle and Get Composting:
- Set up a food and waste recycling station at your venue the day before.
Make it possible for your venue and planner are onboard and have your recycling/ composting requirements set in your contract.
- Clearly label every recycling station. We love the best way this newly-wed blogger did it for her almost-zero waste wedding ceremony:
- FOOD WASTE (additional meals, vegetable meals prep waste, peels, and so forth)
- DRY COMPOSTABLES (paper plates, toothpicks, napkins)
- RECYCLING (cans, bottles, cardboard, glass, tin)
- Donate compostables to native garden groups.
- For those who should use paper, attempt to ensure it’s post-consumer recycled paper.
- Donate extra supplies, papers, signage, and so on to a corporation like SCRAP.
Give Favors Which Help Pure Eco-Techniques
(Above) Homegrown herbs acted as table decor and favors which friends might use throughout their meal at this organic, farm-style Karoo wedding ceremony captured by Christine Le Roux Images
- Give eco-friendly wedding ceremony favors that contribute to a reduction in single-use plastics.
Contemplate gifting re-usable straws, eco-friendly bamboo cutlery, multi-use grocery luggage or washable material sandwich luggage.
- Give tree sapling favors which can help clear the air of pollution.
Tree saplings are a a lot better eco-friendly wedding ceremony favor various than seed favors – which inevitably by no means get planted, or require a degree of gardening talent to nurse from seed to sapling!
- Help the bees by gifting bee-friendly potted herbs and flowers.
Lavender, basil, thyme and rosemary are nice options. These pot crops may be stored outdoors to feed the bees, and in addition provide a supply of recent culinary delight! Lavender, Thai basil and rosemary might be propagated by adding cuttings to water, then planting when roots have sprouted. This implies which you could even develop them yourselves!
- Sponsor timber within the names of your visitors.
In the event that they don’t have area for timber or crops at residence, or aren’t garden-inclined, sponsor a tree on their behalf by way of greenpop!
- Choose eco-friendly wedding ceremony favors.
Take a look at these 18 cute and eco friendly wedding ceremony favor ideas to get you started.
- Donate to a charitable group of your selecting in your visitors’ honor, and ditch the favors altogether!
(Above) Paperless wedding ceremony planning and invitations from Appy Couple.
- Use an all-in-one cellular wedding ceremony planning app, which includes a matching wedding ceremony web site and invitation administration. Take a look at Appy Couple.
- Go cellular with digital save the dates.
- Let friends sit where they like, as an alternative of printing place playing cards.
- Go totally digital together with your invitations and routinely handle your RSVP monitoring using online invitation service Greenvelope. It’s reasonably priced, saves power and paper, plus it’s SUPER handy because all responses are so easily tracked. Test it out here.
(Above) Beautiful DIGITAL wedding ceremony invites from Greenvelope, with built-in RSVP tracking. Examine them out here.
Maintain Sustainability in Mind Choosing a Venue:
- Select a venue with pure beauty that requires little decor.
Having your ceremony in the midst of rolling meadows, botanical gardens, or forested hillsides means minimal décor and fewer waste, says Jenna Miller. Should you’re metropolis based mostly, think about your native botanical garden or perhaps a backyard nursery!
- Scale back journey by internet hosting reception and ceremony on the similar venue.
- Think about a nonprofit venue.
Look for one the place your rental charge will help a sustainability cause or charity that’s near your coronary heart, suggests Jenna Miller.
- Find a “green certified” venue dedicated to working in a sustainable method, adds Jenna Miller.
- Get married underneath a tree and skip the arch.
Or, lease a sustainably made arch that can be reused by other couples.
(Above) This zero-waste, vegan couple hosted their wedding ceremony at a nursery in LA, decreasing the need for extra decor. The bride bought her preloved robe from a sample sale. Get extra concepts from their sustainable wedding ceremony here. (Image Luna Collective )
Lease, Don’t Purchase:
- Lease your wedding ceremony garments as an alternative of shopping for them.
Studies show that the typical American will throw away over 80 pounds of clothing this yr, which amounts to 25+ billion kilos of textiles ending up in our landfills, says Nathan Bellah, Director of Advertising at Era Tux. “Renting clothing (like your wedding tuxedo and/or wedding dress) which you know you’ll only wear a few times can help combat this.”
- Lease your wedding ceremony get together’s outfits – together with tuxes and bridesmaid gowns.
- Lease (or share) your wedding ceremony flowers with a sharing-economy service like Bloomrent. Here’s the way it works. Plus, use our referral code “d0e82f” if you use the service, and you’ll earn $50!
- Lease your decor.
As an alternative of purchasing an entire bunch of jars, vases and decor that you simply’ll by no means use once more, find a native wedding ceremony leases co. South African couples, take a look at Rent Haus and Collect It – two new Cape City-based decor-hire platforms.
- Purchase a sample or pre-loved designer wedding ceremony gown on-line. We’re speaking Galia Lahav, Grace Loves Lace, Berta, BHLDN and extra, anyplace from 40 – 80% off the original sale worth. Then re-sell it whenever you’re achieved – and recoup your prices!
“The beauty of the Internet is that there is now a place for brides-to-be & newlyweds to link up!” explains Ingrid Szajer, Co-founder of Stillwhite.com, another online wedding ceremony gown platform for preloved gowns which operates in lots of international markets. “Purchasing pre-loved dresses not only saves you money, but helps to create less waste.”
Give Goods Second Life by Donating + Reselling
- Donate your gown or go well with to a charitable organization.
Think about Brides Across America, Brides Towards Breast Most cancers, or Brides for a Trigger, suggests Jenna Miller, Artistic Director at Right here Comes the Guide. (Take a look at other worthy causes you’ll be able to help together with your wedding ceremony, right here.)
- Donate your wedding ceremony flowers afterward.
“There are a lot of nationwide programs that allow you to donate your wedding flowers, and they’ll repurpose into arrangements for hospice care facilities, cancer treatment centers, women’s shelters, and more,” says Euri Wong.
- Go classic.
A easy and heartwarming option to “re-use” a gown is to tailor a hand-me-down to your trendy sensibilities, says Jenna Miller. Take a look at these 13 ideas for purchasing a classic wedding ceremony gown.
- Take a look at native second-hand markets, craigslist and goodwill shops for pre-loved decor gadgets as an alternative of buying them new. With just a little little bit of time and luck, you’re more likely to find superb rugs, vases and fascinating decor pieces you can later add to your own home decor assortment, or resell after your eco-friendly wedding ceremony.
(Above) Use potted crops from your house to embellish your ceremony, then move them to over to be reused at your eco-friendly wedding ceremony reception. See extra here. Picture: Briana Morrison.
- Adorn your eco-friendly wedding ceremony with potted crops.
Use crops from your personal house, or use crops that may double as visitor presents. Succulents are nice for this and straightforward to develop at residence yourself!
- Assume double-duty for all furnishings, flowers and decor.
Use versatile, simply moveable preparations and furniture that can simply be moved from ceremony to reception. Assume ceremony chairs, floral preparations and decor. Use whatever yourself or loved ones already personal, too.
- Reuse bridesmaid bouquets as floral decor at your reception.
- Ditch the guestbook and get visitors’ autographs on a photograph canvas as an alternative.
Have visitors sign a photo out of your engagement shoot, or a customized illustration designed to match your house decor. Then, show it in your bedroom or front room afterward as an superior reminder of the day. Listed here are some artists who will cute custom illustrations for you.
- Seat friends at larger tables.
This reduces the number of per-table decor required, including linen, printing of table number signs and floral centerpieces required.
- Use a cafe-style framed menu as an alternative of printing one for each desk. Write on a chalkboard, a mirror then frame it and may re-use it at house afterwards.
- Use upcycled jars as an alternative of consuming glasses.
Write your friends identify on every, and after they’ve used their glass for the night time, let them take them residence.
- Create a double obligation wedding ceremony program show.
Write your order of service or seating plan on a framed mirror with erasable marker. You save paper, and may reuse the mirror at house afterwards.
- Wedding program confetti luggage.
Skip the marriage packages (your visitors will comply with alongside, I promise!), or print them on cute paper luggage, that are also crammed with confetti/ for use for the dessert bar, later. Take a look at these craft paper luggage from Pink Letter Vows, or these from Paper Shoppe CA in white.
- Purchase a cool, custom-made jumbo menu or order of service decal like this so as to add to a big framed mirror, board or chalkboard backing.
- Use recent herbs as eco-friendly wedding ceremony centerpieces, permitting visitors to make use of them in the course of the meal.
(Above Left) Residence Grown Eco-friendly wedding ceremony succulents do triple obligation – decor, favors and seating playing cards! (Chloe Luka images) // (Above Proper) Recent natural herbs in upcycled jars and containers are edible decor! Take a look at this intimate, Organic Texas Hill Country Wedding by Two Pair Images right here.)
Extra of our fave wedding ceremony ideas and advice to check out:
See extra eco-friendly real weddings and concepts