Should you assume you already understand how to drain a scorching tub (simply pump the water out, proper?), you’re already lacking an essential step that would prevent a lot of time and cash spent troubleshooting infinite water chemistry issues. And when you find out how to clear your scorching tub appropriately, you’ll assist forestall filtration points and extend the lifespan of your spa.
In some methods, your spa is like a huge bathtub, besides you don’t drain it after each use, and you soak in the identical water as a bunch of different individuals. For those who’re not cleansing your scorching tub appropriately, you’re in for some fairly gross surprises.
Eliminating buildup whereas treating your spa surfaces with care is simpler than it sounds, and you don’t want a diploma in chemistry to do it. Earlier than you modify your scorching tub water for the primary—or fiftieth time—find out how to drain and clear your scorching tub the correct means.
- 1 How to Drain a Hot Tub
- 2 How to Clean a Hot Tub
- 3 How to Refill a Hot Tub
- 4 Fear-Free Soaking
How to Drain a Hot Tub
You’d assume you may simply pull the plug, let the water out, and then put new water in. The right technique isn’t fairly that straightforward, nevertheless it’s not that troublesome, both.
Flush These Strains
A method micro organism can survive in your spa regardless of the sanitizer you add is inside a sticky substance that varieties in your scorching tub plumbing referred to as biofilm.
Even when your sanitizer ranges are proper on course, your scorching tub can develop biofilm. Micro organism feed on it, whereas additionally utilizing it as shelter out of your chlorine or bromine. That very same micro organism results in your water, consuming up chlorine and exposing you and different bathers to contaminants, comparable to Legionella, which causes Legionnaires Illness, Staphylococcus aureus, which generally causes scorching tub folliculitis, and E. coli, which may trigger intense abdomen sickness.
When this goo varieties inside your strains, it will possibly’t be eliminated by means of regular spa water circulation, or common cleansing.
So the very first step in draining and cleansing your scorching tub is to add a line flush product In the event you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. . This particular cleaner is formulated to break down biofilm. When you’ve added it, let it flow into for a minimal of 20 minutes.
If this isn’t your first time cleansing your scorching tub, however you haven’t been utilizing a line flush, you possibly can—and in all probability ought to—let the road flush product flow into for a few hours. Simply make sure to verify the product instructions so that you don’t overdo it.
Line flush might trigger gross-looking foam to type because it circulates by way of your spa. That simply means it’s working. You’ll be draining and cleansing your scorching tub subsequent anyway, so don’t fear concerning the foam.
The Energy of Gravity
The bottom-cost choice for draining your scorching tub is to join a hose to the spa drain and permit gravity to work its magic on the water. That is additionally probably the most time consuming selection, often taking hours to utterly empty your spa. However that doesn’t have to be a dangerous factor.
Whereas ready on your spa to drain, you’ll be able to work on different issues, similar to cleansing your spa cowl For those who click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. and both changing or cleansing the filter In the event you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. .
It additionally provides you time to transfer your hose so drained water doesn’t pool in a single space, which you may want to do in the event you’ll be draining your spa water into your yard or backyard.
Necessary:Earlier than you drain your spa, flip the recent tub breaker to minimize all energy and remove danger of electrical shock.
The Energy of … Energy
Perhaps you’re in a hurry, otherwise you simply don’t have the endurance to wait on gravity. No drawback. You’ll be able to use a sump pump For those who click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. to empty your scorching tub in minutes quite than hours. Open your spa drains on the similar time, and empty the bathtub much more shortly.
As a result of a sump pump will drain the recent tub shortly, plan to keep close by to regulate the water degree. If the pump continues to run as soon as the water is gone, it could possibly fritter away the motor, so flip off the pump as quickly because it stops pumping water.
Some pumps will get the water down to a fraction of an inch, whereas others will want to be shut off with a few inches of water remaining. Your scorching tub drains will maintain the remaining.
The place To Drain Hot Tub Water
Numerous cities have legal guidelines that require you to drain your scorching tub water into the sewer system. These cities sometimes present sewer entry by way of a particular drain someplace in your property.
This isn’t to be confused with a storm drain, the place you must by no means eliminate scorching tub water as a result of these drains lead to pure our bodies of water. Drained spa water can hurt fish and different wildlife.
Should you don’t have direct sewer entry, you possibly can run a hose into the drain in a utility sink in your house, or water your garden or gardens with the previous spa water, offered you’ve allowed chemical ranges to dissipate. Crops don’t precisely thrive on chlorine.
Necessary: Earlier than you drain your scorching tub, examine your metropolis’s ordinances to make sure you’re adhering to the regulation, and stopping any injury to the setting.
How to Clean a Hot Tub
Now that your scorching tub is empty, you’re midway to the end line. Prepare to expend a little elbow grease. Simply don’t get that grease in your spa. Ew.
Clean or Substitute the Filter
Whereas the water is draining out of your spa, you’ve got loads of time to clear your filter. A particular filter cleansing spray In case you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. is the perfect guess for this job.
Higher but, take a little extra time and deep clear the filter. Seize a 5-gallon (20-litre) bucket When you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. , and fill it almost to the brim with water. Add the dose of scorching tub filter soak For those who click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. indicated within the product directions, give the water a swish to dilute the cleaner, and submerge the filter.
Depart it to soak for 24 hours, and then rinse it completely with clear water. Any residual cleaner may trigger foaming once you restart your spa, and then you definitely’ll have to begin this complete course of over once more.
For those who take away the filter, and it’s so soiled no quantity of cleaner goes to make a distinction, first, exchange it In case you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. . Second, clear your filter extra typically!
Clean the Spa Shell
As soon as it’s empty, your spa is prepared for floor cleansing.
- Spray your scorching tub shell with scorching tub cleaner Should you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. , diluted white vinegar When you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. , or diluted bleach Should you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. . Pay particular consideration to nooks and crannies the place mildew, algae, or micro organism could possibly be hiding.
- Use a smooth material When you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. or non-scratch nylon scrubber In the event you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. to take away residue.
- Rinse all of the surfaces nicely, and drain all of the rinse water to forestall foaming whenever you refill your spa.
- Double verify that each one your jets are open after you’ve completed cleansing and rinsing. This reduces the danger of water strain issues from trapped air.
Tip: When you’re utilizing a scorching tub cowl, now’s the right time to clear that, too In the event you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. . And in case you’re not, you’re dropping cash in each chemical compounds and power prices, so get a cowl.
How to Refill a Hot Tub
Ah, take a look at that squeaky clear scorching tub. It’s so fairly, you virtually don’t need to fill it again up, proper? Nevertheless it’s no enjoyable to sit in an empty spa, so escape that hose In case you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. .
Essential: Earlier than you begin including recent water, double verify to make sure the breaker continues to be off. Higher protected than sorry. Additionally, be certain to shut the drains and take away your sump pump—until the best way you select to take pleasure in your spa is by draining and refilling it endlessly, eternally.
Tip: When refilling your scorching tub, use a hose filter When you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. to scale back impurities reminiscent of calcium and copper which will have an effect on your water chemistry and general spa well being. You’ll begin out with greater high quality water in your spa and scale back the danger of staining.
- Insert your hose into the filter compartment, then start filling your spa. This helps to drive any trapped air out of your circulation system, stopping scorching tub air lock. Keep away from overfilling as it might trigger critical issues, resembling backflow into your heater, whenever you begin up your spa. For those who do by chance overfill, drain the surplus water instantly.
- Flip your spa breaker again on.
- Begin up your scorching tub.
- Permit the water to flow into and warmth up to no less than 80°F (27°C). Ensure to flip off air valves when you have them, in order that they don’t disrupt chemical distribution.
- Add a metallic sequestrant In case you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. , for those who select. That is particularly necessary when you’ve got exhausting water or nicely water, to assist forestall stains in your spa. Utilizing the hose filter reduces the danger of stains, however for those who’ve had staining issues up to now, it’s value including a dose of sequestrant throughout refills.
- Check the water When you click on this hyperlink and make a buy, we earn a fee at no further value to you. . Regulate pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness if vital.
- Cowl your spa for 24 hours to let the water heat up and the chemical compounds flow into.
- Retest the water when the spa reaches 100°F (38°C). Add sanitizer if needed. You in all probability gained’t want to regulate anything at this level. Testing once more simply allows you to affirm the water is balanced earlier than anybody makes use of the spa.
Now that you understand how to drain and clear a scorching tub, there’s no excuse to let your spa descend into swamp territory. Maintain the water balanced, check it recurrently, and hold your filter clear, and you must solely have to do a full drain and clear each three or 4 months.
Within the meantime, you’ll be able to loosen up and take pleasure in your squeaky clear tub filled with glowing, clear water.
Study How to Hold Your Hot Tub Clean and Clear All Yr Lengthy with This Illustrated eBook
You will save $100 instantly with this easy-to-follow digital handbook. That is the information that scorching tub producer doesn’t present you.
Click on right here to study extra